Monday, June 15, 2009

The good life.

It's been a good week so far. Bought a pile of stuff I don't need on Saturday (including 2 pairs my favourite MacPac short which are out of production but still stocked at MacPac........I found it exciting anyway).

Sunday was spent riding. A very crisp morning road ride with the bunch who call themselves 'il Groupetto', followed by a big breaky at Cafe Essen. Then it was off to Mt Stromlo for an arvo mountain bike ride. The weather at the moment is perfect, just above ten degrees and sunny.


Then today I slept in. Yes it's Monday but I have the week off to 'study'. The reason 'studying' is a bit of a joke is that I only need four percent in my Communication & Informations Systems exam to pass. Yes, I'm that good.

So I took a pile of crap to the dump and stopped at the dump shop. Every now and then you're in the right place at the right time.

I bought this Bennet Racer for a twenty. It wouldn't be far from the truth to say it has never been ridden. The rims are chrome and barely show any contact with the brake pads. The chainrings are grease free and the tyres are original but brand new. This is pretty good considering it'd have to be from the early seventies; judging by the Shimano 'Thunder Bird II' and 'Eagle' front and rear derailleurs. Bennett was a spin-off from Malvern Star back in the day; it has no markings but I wouldn't hesitate to say it's a cheap Asian frame badged 'Bennett' for sale in Australia.


So I thought I'd pick it up for someone to use as a pub bike. For fifty bucks of course.......

On the way home I thought I'd drop in to the bakery a few of my friends have been raving about, The Flute in Fyshwick. It happens to be situated in the middle of an industrial area, which makes it even more like you're stepping into a different world. I bought a trio of sandwiches made of mini baguettes and devoured them atop Mt Ainslie, admiring the snowy mountains in the distance. The sour dough loaf/ring/thing and the danish made it home.


Let's hope the rest of the week is just as good.