Monday, February 18, 2008

Woodies.

It's been pissing down for months now so I always ride with a fender on the back. It's funny how dry you feel as long as your arse is dry. I've been using a behemoth plastic mtb fender which rattles around and generally pisses me off. As a result I've been thinking about how easy it would be to build a fender that attaches to the brake boss on a fixie, considering the brake boss doesn't have a brake attached. Then one day I came across Fast Boy Fenders. So VERY cool. (He also has a fantastic flickr website showcasing his awesome photography, my kind of guy!!).

I was on the brink of buying a set, but lately I've been having guilt issues to do with how I just buying everything I want. I think it's No Impact Man's fault! Then I figured there was no reason I couldn't make one myself.

Twenty bucks worth of stuff later (and a google search on how to steam and bend wood) and I was well on my way to creating my first prototype. Cut, steam, bend, rest, drill, coat with Carnauba wax, make bracket and attach to bike.


Sure it's no where near as pretty as the real thing, but it's been test ridden through a few days of rain now and the wax seems to work really well to protect the wood; with the added bonus of keeping my arse dry!!

The obligatory beautiful-view-on-the-way-to-the-pub photo.......