Saturday, January 19, 2008

Irony.

i-ro-ny -noun: an outcome of events contrary to what was, or might have been, expected.

So there I was last night, watching bikes fly through the air, over ramps, half pipes and rails. Today, I also saw a bike fly through the air, only this time within inches of my drivers side window, coming to an immediate halt after impacting the rear of the car in front of me. Very quickly followed by a teenager, landing metres in front of my car and sliding to a halt in the turning lane.

Teenagers are getting more and more 'X-treme' everyday. He was carted away in an ambulance so it was a once of trick, but it goes to show more devotion to the art of cycling than I ever have in a 24 hour race or commuting and training everyday; rain, hail or shine.

The catapult.

The sacrificial bike.


The landing zone.


All okay eventually.


Note: Before you all think I have a cold black heart; I am only talking in jest (although it was 100% his fault for filtering through stationary traffic into an empty but fast moving turning lane and it is people like him that give cyclist a bad name.The media will still call him a 'cyclist', just because he's riding a bike). He came out of it pretty well and I was the one to call the ambo, render some first aid and comfort the driver of the actual car (because it wasn't her fault and she's the one who'll remember it for the rest of her life, not him). That's once my hands stopped shaking enough to use my phone - damn buttons are so small!!

Was on my way to see Juno too. At least there's an arvo session.