Monday, June 4, 2007

My own worst enemy


I constantly try to convince myself that running is similar to riding. After all, you are relying on your legs and mind to keep you going, you are traveling beyond the bounds of a footy oval and you most likely aren’t rolling on the ground with other sweaty men. But I was recently reminded, again, that running isn’t like riding.

I headed to Victoria to compete in a championship XC running race, and while I admit that I probably wasn’t the most acclimatised to the weather down there and my legs are built of cycling muscles and not running muscles, I still hated every second of the race because it was slow, painful and incredibly boring.

Now, before you point out that it can’t really be much more boring than riding a country road for four hours on a bike, especially as a running race takes around quarter of that time; I need to point out that I whole heartedly agree that the two events should share some similarities….but they don’t!!

For me, running and alcohol bear one great similarity. I always forget how bad they leave me feeling but can’t help signing up for the next session.